Sunday, June 27, 2010

Tomorrow, today, and maybe a little bit of yesterday too.

Tomorrow is the day. The day I have been working hard for for 2 years now. Tomorrow I start Radiography school! YAY! The decision to go back to school was an easy one. The path however, has been rocky. But through it all, I kept going. Because I knew I had to, for my kids, for myself. I started back in the fall semester of 2008 with an almost 2 year old, an 8 month old, and a 1.50 GPA courtesy of none other than my own negligence. The first year back was a rough one. Over Christmas break 2008/2009, I suffered a miscarriage. It was a hard thing to deal with, but I was not going to let it keep me from going back for the spring semester. I started the 2nd year 6 months pregnant, and had Gabriella over Christmas break 2009/2010. Having a newborn would have been plenty of reason for me to "take a break" from school. But I knew I had to keep going. I applied to the Radiography program in the spring of 2010. I sat through a ridiculously boring admissions test, and an excruciatingly nerve racking interview. After that I just prayed...a lot. I found out on my last day in Haiti on May 24th that I got into the program. That was almost 2 months after my interview, so I had lots of time to think about it. So, here I am today with a 3.02 GPA, which is still not great, but an improvement from 1.50. And, 2 years from now, I will be graduating with an Associates degree in Radiography. I am excited to get this thing started.

With that being said, today was a great day. Church was awesome. The pastor was not there, so there was a guest speaker. He is the President of the Missionary church denomination, or something like that anyway. His sermon was on the power of faith and prayer. It was just what I needed. As a matter of fact, last weeks sermon was exactly what I needed then too. Funny how that works, huh? After church, we came home and ate lunch. After lunch when Gabby was napping, I decided to ride the exercise bike for my "at least 30 minutes" a day. (I am trying very hard to kick this overweight-ness that I have been carrying with me for far to long). I decided that while I rode, I would pray. I finished the book I was reading last night, and following the sermon this morning, it seemed the only logical thing. So, I prayed. For guidance. For patience. For wisdom. For strength. For understanding. For a lot of things. First I prayed quietly to myself, and then out loud. At the very moment that I started praying out loud, I got that feeling. The same feeling I got the Sunday in Haiti when we were at church singing "How Great Thou Art". A feeling I have never before felt. Even though I was riding the exercise bike, quite vigorously at that point, and sweating, I got goosebumps. It started at the top of my head, made it's way down the back of my neck, to my spine, and down my arms and legs. They came, one after another until I stopped praying. My prayer had turned into a crying "Thank you, thank you, Jesus, for everything you have done for me. Thank you." At this point, I was glad Zoe and Isaac were preoccupied with who knows what, but something. They get very concerned when I cry. It's cute really. So, that was an awesome thing. I think I am going to have to try praying out loud more often.

Oh, and the title says I am going to say something about yesterday too. Hmmm....Saturday. It was rather uneventful. We ordered pizza from Papa John's, this is normal Saturday behavior though. Yesterday though, since I am dieting and trying to lose weight, I ordered a little differently than I normally would. We got a large pizza with grilled chicken, tomatoes, green peppers, pineapple, onions on half (Zoe "doesn't like" onions right now), and light sauce. I was skeptical, but it was actually REALLY good. Better yet, there is only 300 calories per slice, and I was able to control myself enough to eat only 1 slice. Yay, go me.

I'm only 3 days into this diet/exercise/lose weight thing, and already I am feeling confident. Proud of myself for exhibiting self control, something I have ALWAYS had a problem with. So, hopefully I keep up the good work. My ultimate goal is to lose 30 lbs. by December, and run a 5K by July 2011. Short term goal however, is to get healthy. That's what really counts.

Acts 4:31
31After they prayed, the place where they were meeting was shaken. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God boldly.

No comments:

Post a Comment